The reveiws are in and are smashing! A group of eight Southern California Trusteeship members and some of their friends enjoyed a whirlwind excursion to London, England where the focus of the trip was catching the pre-release show of member Dale Franzen’s Hadestown!
The group had the opportunity to take tours, visit museums, eat in private clubs and took out a great slice of the London pie! Here’s a glimpse of their itinerary:
Friday, November 9:
- 10:00 am Private tour of the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington and walk up to Royal Albert Hall. Kensington Gardens – depending on the weather more or less time with be outside on the walking tour: https://www.vam.ac.uk/ 2 hours
- Tour guide is Rachel Pearson. Kathryn Pretzel Shiels will also join the tour and both will meet you at the museum.
- Meet inside the Cromwell Road entrance to the V&A by the information desk, which is underneath the large blue Chihuly chandelier. As the museum only opens at 10am you shouldn’t rush to be early
- Harrods Early afternoon tea at 1:00 pm at Laduree.
- Behind the scene’s tour of Harrods at 2:30-4:00 pm
- Back to hotel to freshen up
- Dine-A-Round at the Royal Automobile Club 7:00 pm. Enjoy a glass of bubble in the Champagne Room before dining in the Brooklands Room for a 3 course dinner, (no jeans, no trainers, i.e. sneakers – this is a private club, like the Jonathan Club, and as such, you may want to dress up a bit. Gentlemen should wear tie and coat.)
Saturday, November 10:
- 10:00 am Suffragette’s Walk – The tour aims to give a general overview of the suffrage movement (100 year anniversary of all women receiving the right to vote), telling the stories and taking some of the locations associated with the campaign in the Westminster area. The tour will extend towards St. James Park, The Mall and Buckingham Palace – 2 hours. Meet by the statue of George Washington outside the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square. Alice will be your guide.
- Lunch on our own, make your way to the Thames River Cruise station at the London Eye – directions here: https://www.londoneye.com/visitor-information/
- 1:45 pm: Thames River Cruise. This event is very near the hotel so you can walk or take a taxi.
- 2:45 pm: London Eye.
- Back to the hotel to freshen up
- Dinner: 5:30 pm – The Terrace – National Theatre. You can either walk or take a taxi to the National Theatre. Your reservations are for 5:30pm sharp so please leave time to get to the theater. You may either walk or take a taxi.
- 7:30 pm London pre-launch performance of “Hadestown” at the National Theatre.
Some feedback from the attendees:
We loved having you all here! Thank you for coming. It was a treat to meet / see you. I hope you have been safe from the destructive and devastating fires.
Kathryn Pretzel Shiels Programms Chair IWF UK
Hadestown was fantastic – a huge hit!! And it was such a thrill to see it in London with the producer Dale Franzen and fellow members of the Trusteeship.
Wonderful to share London and Hadestown with y’all!
It was such a fun, exciting weekend and such a pleasure to get to know the great women who attended. Len and I were knocked out by Hadestown and couldn’t agree more with the rave reviews. Our walking tours were wonderful…so much so that we hired our guide, Rachel Pearson, for a private tour later in the week.
Kathryn did an incredible job arranging and hosting us. We loved spending time with Kathryn, Mark and the rest of the London crew.
Thanks so much for all of the planning, Julie and thanks to you great women for exploring London with us.