It’s very hard to put the trip to Senegal into words. The work that Trusteeship member Molly Melching’s organization, Tostan, does is incredible. In 25 years Tostan has been able to affect change in thousands of lives. 17 people traveled to Senegal from Southern California in honor of dear Trusteeship member, Judy Miller. The amount of time’s different villages, recipients of Tostan’s work and community leaders sang songs to us where Judy’s name was a part of their lyrics so touching beyond belief. Judy supported Tostan for years and their gratitude towards her was amazing.
A bit about Tostan:
Tostan, from the Wolof word for “breakthrough,” is an international human rights organization based in Senegal. Since 1991, Tostan has worked to empower African communities to bring about sustainable development and positive social transformation based on respect for human rights. Working in Senegal, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Mauritania and Gambia, Tostan employs over 1,000 people and promotes literacy and community engagement primarily in rural regions. Tostan’s innovative approach, called the Community Empowerment Program (CEP), is rooted in the belief that every human being has a fundamental right to human dignity. Developed by Tostan founder Molly Melching, the CEP empowers communities and individuals to change their lives by sharing their understanding of human rights and responsibilities, learned through nonformal educational sessions, with other interconnected groups and social networks. Grounded in human rights values and employing methods that foster mutual respect, inclusivity and sustainability, Tostan has impacted about 2 million lives in the areas of health, education, environment, governance and economic growth.
Internationally recognized for its transformative approach, Tostan helps build the capacity of communities in Africa to lead their own development. Tostan harnesses local knowledge and creates opportunities to empower women and girls, changing social norms forever.
Tostan is one of the most effective NGOs in the world today, recognized by a growing number of leading international human rights organizations.
“Tostan’s approach succeeds because of its deep respect for the people it serves. ” –HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON
How you can help Donate:
- $135 covers the full cost of one participant in our community empowerment program (CEP) for a year.
- $270 covers the full cost of a woman and her daughter to participate in the CEP for a year.
- $8,000 supports an entire village to participate in the CEP for a year.
- Monthly gifts: Show your support throughout the year with recurring monthly donations.
- Consider a 3 year pledge: Tostan’s Community Empowerment Program runs three years. Be an integral part of bringing about generational change by making a 3-year pledge, either monthly or annually.
- Raise funds on OUR behalf: Simply sharing our story with your friends and colleagues can inspire others to give. Contact us if you are interested in becoming a Tostan Champion.
- Spread the word: Follow us on Facebook. Like, share and comment! Real change begins with dialogue. It’s how our programs are successful in bringing about breakthrough change in Africa, and it’s how we can help be part of that change here in Southern California.
Either send a check to Tostan, 641 S Street NW, 3rd Floor, Washington, DC 20001. Designate: The Judy Miller Fund for Tostan Kids
Or Use a credit card at www.Tostan.org. Push Donate. In the process, you will be asked if this is a tribute gift. Write in Judy Miller/Judy Miller Fund for Tostan Kids. You will be asked who Tostan should notify of the gift. Please Indicate Julie Edwards, The Trusteeship, 2618 San Miguel Drive, Ste. 408, Newport Beach, CA 92660.